LEAF offers grants to Lakewood schools
For projects that help fulfill our mission; deadline is Sept. 30
LEAFCommunity is offering grants for classrooms in Lakewood schools for education projects that help fulfill LEAF Community’s mission.
Grants are available for classroom projects/enhancements and related materials. The maximum grant amount awarded will be $500. Up to three grants will be awarded. LEAF Community has $1,000 for this funding round.
Eligible applicants are any classroom in Lakewood, including grades pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade.
To apply, please complete the grant application
and submit with a cover letter to LEAF Community: PO Box 770374, Lakewood, OH 44107 or via email to email@example.com.
Applications will be scored based on completeness and the quality and scope of the project.
Deadline for the grant application is September 30, 2014. Projects should be implemented by May 31, 2015. A final report with stories and photos of the project will be due by June 30, 2015.
Questions about this opportunity can be directed to Ann Stahlheber via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education Session: Wild Edibles
Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 7 pm in the downstairs of the Beer Engine
Join us for an educational session on foraging and wild edibles with Rob Shearer, a local wild foods enthusiast who has been foraging, growing, and preparing wild edibles in some manner for more than 30 years.
The wild edibles presentation will touch on some of the more common, easily identified, and interesting wild foods that can be found around Northeast Ohio. We will take a look at some tasty local wild greens, mushrooms, nuts, fruits, and berries that can be found from the deepest Ohio forests to your own backyard. Please join us for some interesting conversation, share some knowledge, and maybe even a tasty treat or two!
As always, this LEAF educational event is free and open to the public.
Volunteers needed for LEAF Farm Market!
Thursday evenings through October
Enjoy the LEAF Farm Market? Help us make each week a success-volunteer! We're especially looking for people to help check in City Fresh CSA shareholders from 5:30-8 pm. Sign up to volunteer-or train to volunteer-at our page on Volunteer Spot
. If you want to learn more about what volunteering entails, contact email@example.com.
Accepting applications for LEAF's Board
LEAF is seeking applications for members of the Board of Directors. Preference is given to those who are already LEAF stakeholders--whether a CSA shareholder, gardener, or someone who frequents our programs. However, we will also consider candidates who support LEAF’s mission and are interested in working to fulfill it. We especially encourage people with financial expertise and those with experience working with non-profits.
We expect board members to attend monthly (or potentially bi-monthly) full board meetings on Sunday evenings at 6:30 p.m. Meetings typically last one hour. We also expect members to serve on at least one (and no more than two) committees (such as CSA/LEAF Night, Education, Events & Outreach, Marketing, and Gardens).
LEAF Community Farm Market
Thursdays, June - October
5:30 - 8:00 pm
Lakewood Library Front Porch
LEAF Community Farmers' Markets are every Thursday night now through the end of the growing season in October from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at Lakewood Public Library, 15425 Detroit Ave.
Come out to support your local farmers, artisans, crafters, and more! Check out the list below to see if your favorite vendor is returning for 2014 or find a new favorite from our growing list.
- Maggie's Farm (Produce, granola, baked products, local cheeses and more!)
- Earth's Crust (Bread and granola made from locally sourced organic grain producer, local honey and maple syrup, local milk and seasonal fruits, vegetables and herbs.
- Fallen Angel (Cakes, Cupcakes, Brownies, Breads, Sour-dough sweet breads, other baked goods.)
- Colleen O'Rourke (hand made candles, personal care products, such as bath salts, scrubs, salves, hand knit and crocheted items, home made raw and vegan foods, home grown herbs and flowers)
- Dana Kessler (Hand made jewelry Body Salt scrubs )
- The Little Lakewood Pasta Company (handmade, vegan artisan pasta)
- Red Lotus Foods LLC (We make plant-based cream cheeses and other non-dairy products like cashew sour cream and sweet cashew creme. We may be offering vegan block cheeses toward the end of the summer.)
- Breadheads Breadery (Fine breads and soft pretzels)
- Bobicci (Handmade all natural: beeswax essential oil candles, body/face/lip scrubs, soap, therapeutic essential oil bath salts, moisturizers.)
- Favor Catering (specializes in soups, casseroles, and desserts. )
- Market Connect (Ohio City Pasta, Campbell's Popcorn, Judy's Oasis, Hummingbird, Blaze Salsa, Plant Kingdom, and more.)
- Super Queen (kettle corn and more)
- Lake Erie Creamery (handmade goat and cow's milk cheeses)
- Berry Good Farms (produce, baked goods, honey and honey products)
- STEM soap (handmade soap)
- Peace Love and Little Donuts (handmade donuts)
- Grain Man (grain products, cereals, rice, and flours)
EBT is proudly accepted
If you are interested in vending at our market, please click here
LEAF Community Gardens are full for 2014
LEAF Cooks Cookbooks available for purchase!
Purchase online today!
Save $5 a book by picking them up locally (we can make arrangements).
Click on a link to purchase:
$15 Purchase & Pickup or $20 Purchase & Delivery
The LEAF Cooks cookbook is a collection of recipes submitted by vendors, farmers, gardeners, market shoppers, community supported agriculture shareholders, chefs and friends of LEAF. All recipes include local ingredients, available seasonally around Ohio.
Join the LEAF Community on Facebook!
Connect with our community, stay up to date and show your support by joining the LEAF Facebook Group.
Once you join, you will receive updates, invites to our events, and
have the ability to post messages and have discussions with other